Wednesday, February 17, 2010
Berrie Questionnaire -- Tony R, full-time assistant, part-time reservationist, and all-around Vanity man
1. Name: Tony R
2. Hometown: Hopewell Junction, NY
3. Where do you live now? Greenwich Village, NY
4. Occupation: look for me in the masthead.
5. Dream: if I can make it to 25 living in New York in my current
occupation, I would consider it a dream come true.
6. Favorite Place in NY: One of them is the area in Central Park just northeast of Sheep's Meadow, where you can watch members of the Central Park Skaters Association convene on warm weekends and skate-it-out to the best mix of 60s/70s/80s funk and dance music. The other is the nook in my kitchen where I can sit for hours and read while smoking out the window that overlooks MacDougal Street. They both sort of epitomize New York to me.
7. Favorite Designer(s): Acne, Ralph Lauren, APC, J. Crew (say what you will, I challenge anyone to tell me where I can find a better-fitting oxford button-up). I'm also a big fan of what Patrick Robinson has done for GAP.
8. Can't Live Without: my Barbour jacket, Diet Coke, & Marlboro lights
9. In Your Pocket: my work ID & a book of matches
10. On your iPod: right now? the Shins. Although I usually listen to my roommate's iPod when I can help it, as she has a much better collection of music than I.
11. On your nighttable: the stuffed WWF warthog I received as a Christmas present from Wayne Lawson, my Blackberry when it's not in my hand, my glasses when they're not on my face
12. Favorite Blog: I must admit, I am not the most active surfer of the Internet. But when I do, I usually visit Gawker, Style Rookie or, as much as I hate to admit it, Perez.
13. On your Netflix queue? alas, I've yet to subscribe. Although I do have a hefty stack of Oscar screeners (The Hurt Locker and Invictus sit at the top of this pile)
14. Icon? I've never felt a strong enough connection to any one person to really consider them an icon. Perhaps this is a good thing? I suppose one can never become iconic himself if he's trying to mimic someone else's approach to life....
15. Favorite NYC restaurant meal? Café Cluny -- the Frisee salad and Cluny burger (with fries & Gruyere) followed by three scoops of ice cream (to be shared!) covered in hot chocolate sauce. I'd say I eat it once a week, at a
16. Favorite place to have a drink in NY? Botanica (Houston btwn. Mulberry
17. Favorite shop in NY? For clothes: Odin. And for everything else: Muji!
18. Cab, train or walk? Walk walk walk!
19. Where do you get your haircut? I am pleading the 5th... We all should have some secrets, right?
20. One odd thing about you: I love pillows on my bed. Right now I sleep with eight. And I only have one head.
21. Grooming secret? "The more you look like the 1950s Remington man, the more your star will shine."
22. Best piece of advice you've gotten? See #21.
Thursday, January 28, 2010
This is fashion. Pictured here is 13-year old fashion blogger Tavi exiting a couture show, notebook, pen and dad in tow in Paris this week. We love the new bluish-gray coiffee she's sporting (perhaps a nod to Coraline?) as well as the Anna-esqu shades. It's hard to admit, but we just can't help but feel this tween knows something we don't, and whatever it is, we want it.
There is no one we love more than Lou Doillon, indie muse and nothing we love more than French line Vanessa Bruno. When you put them together, nothing short of magic happens. Please enjoy the three minute video poem directed by Stéphanie Di Gusto and let it brighten up your day like it did ours :)
Monday, January 25, 2010
WWD reported to day that N.E.R.D. frontman has fallen for another man--Alber Elbaz that is, designer for Lanvin. A guest at the menswear collections in Paris, Mr. Williams has offered up his services to Mr. Albaz as a consultant (as he did for Louis Vuitton) should the Frenchman accept. I'd be interested to see what that collabo brings!
Friday, January 22, 2010
Chrissie Miller, girl-about-downtown and designer of the hipsterette it-label Sophomore recently debuted her Cass Bird-directed video lookbook for her Spring 2010 collection. Featuring some notable East Village personalities including artist Lucien Smith, the film shows pretty young things in Miller's duds chilling on the beach and making out on the boardwalk of Coney Island. The film has a kids-esque quality, which begs the question, where was Leo Fitzpatrick's cameo? Check out Interview Magazine for the full-length mini movie.
Thursday, January 21, 2010
1. Name: Danielle Brooke McGrory
2. Hometown: Center Moriches, NY
3. Age: 27
4. Occupation: Marketing Manager
5. Dream: To write books, collect art and live on the water
6. Favorite Place in NY: Everywhere but midtown
7. Favorite Designer(s): Chloe, Helmut Lang
8. Can't Live Without: Alone time, mini skirts and skinny black pants
9. In Your Pocket: Burt’s Bees lip balm
10. On your iPod: Asteroid Galaxy Tour, Jay-Z, Billie Holiday
11. On your nighttable: My laptop, from previously reading and/or watching web TV (Delusional Downtown Divas, anyone?) in bed
12. Favorite Blog: All the blogs on NYMag.com, The Coolhunter, The Moment and I’ll always have a place in my heart for the now semi-defunct The Blackberrie
13. On your Netflix queue? Next up is Paper Heart, but I have seriously neglected my Netflix since I upgraded to cable. The Netflix days were far more cultured.
14. Icon?: I just want to dress like Diane Kruger, sing like Mary J Blige and be quoted like Mae West, does that count?
15. Favorite NYC restaurant meal? Vegetable plate + entrée at Westville
16. Favorite place to have a drink in NY? Most frequented is Bar Veloce below my apartment, but really anywhere if I am with my friends
17. Favorite shop in NY? Possibly American Apparel because I can afford everything and even buy multiples!
18. Cab, train or walk? Preferably walk, although my boyfriend is trying to find me an old school BMX to ride
19. Where do you get your haircut? Aaron Pursell’s kitchen
20. One odd thing about you: That no matter how well you know me, there’s probably always something new to find out.
21. Beauty secret?: Moisturizer and eye makeup
22. Best piece of advice you've gotten?: “You’re not always right.”